STARS: Schools Together For Arts Resources
*STARS* programs begin each year in mid-January and run every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 12 noon through early March with arts-related programs for ages 5 through 5th grade. There is no charge for the programs.
See course descriptions for 2013 below.
For the past 19 years, Foote School has been involved in Saturday morning collaborations with neighborhood public schools. Called *STARS*[Schools Together for Arts ResourceS], these cooking, crafts, multi-media, and cultural programs have been elective, involving equal numbers of students and teachers from the two participating schools who meet together for a series of workshops culminating in a special community event. The groups are small, stressing process and interaction. The experience has been meaningful for students and teachers alike, broadening horizons and expanding repertoires.
The first collaboration was in the winter of 1994. Since then *STARS* has sponsored 82 programs. Winter 2013 programs are listed below:
Cooking with Stories (Note: Class is full)
Foote & Davis Magnet School
Foote & Strong School
Major components of all *STARS* programs:
* The programs are free to participants.
* The programs focus on project-based activities: crafts, singing, cooking, writing, and multi-media.
* Teachers from the two participating schools meet together before a program begins to establish goals and plan curriculum; their collaboration is essential and demonstrates cooperation to the participating students.
* There is an equal number of students from each school.
* Saturday workshops alternate their meeting spaces between or among the schools involved, so that students can expand their horizons.
* There is always a culminating activity or event to bring participants and community members together.
* The children work together to create something
satisfying, but process is as important, if not more important, than product.
Teachers find it very exciting to work with these programs. Take a look at photos from *STARS* in Action 2012. There's an energy and enthusiasm involved with bringing school groups together. Kids discover their similarities and barriers are broken down. The programs have also provided teachers and parents with opportunities and outlets for involvement and sharing of skills and development of new curricula.
*STARS* programs have been funded by the Foote School Board, private individuals, and foundations. The programs are free to participants, and teachers receive a stipend. Atticus Bookstore-Café/Chabaso Bakery supplies refreshments.